Pages

Saturday 8 December 2012

IT'S ON LIKE HONG KONG

Last November, I spent seven days in beautiful Hong Kong. I've been going back and forth Hong Kong for the past few years, captivated with it's city life. A former colony of the British, Hong Kong is a place where western and eastern influences collide, becoming a venue of avant-garde development. 

The City of Manila



We took a cab from HKIA to the flat which is located in the Tung Chung district of Lantau Island.


This is usually the first meal I get when I am in Hong Kong. Wonton Mien with a side of steamed vegetables and the classic Schweppes Cream Soda.

My home for the next 6 days.

 In Hong Kong, you can almost get to anywhere you want via the Mass Transit Railway or more commonly known as the "MTR".

This is considered as rush hour on the MTR.

Practically everything is walking distance.




Hong Kong Fashion at it's finest...



 The weather in Hong Kong is pretty chilly this time of year (Autumn - Winter). It can get really cold especially in the evening. It's best to travel prepared (opt to bring a scarf or a pair of gloves just in case).

Striped Long Sleeve (Divided by H&M), Blue Shirt (Baleno, SM Dept. Store), Watch (G-Shock), Pants (H&M), Canvas Boat Shoes (H&M)



Mong Kok Night Market




A Hong Kong trip wouldn't be complete without a visit to the happiest place on earth. My friends and I decided to hop on the train and go to Disneyland.


Yes, they have their own rail system to get to the park, and yes, those are Mickey-shaped windows.

It was pretty warm that day so I decided to put on my favorite U.S. Marines shirt, Khakis from Bench, my lucky red socks, and my "adventure" shoes from Cotton-On.



YOLO

First-timers a.k.a N00bs

Rest of the wolf pack.




Stick with your buddies. It's easy to get lost.

Everyone waiting for the biggest parade the park has to offer, the Flights of Fantasy.



Fun fact: The marching band is comprised of a full Filipino ensemble.

Kind of reminds me of a Filipino Fiesta



The lady of the manor.


Toy Story Land is the newest attraction of Disneyland. The best ride in the park for me is located here, called the RC RACER.


Small World

Disneyland was awesome. I made a few friends.

and maybe a few enemies.


Come night fall, everyone anticipates the Disney pyro-musical display. I made sure I secured my position in front of the castle early.


 No matter how old you may be, it's hard not to get goosebumps. No exaggerations, it truly was magical.


Before the park closed, artificial snow fell from the sky. We played along and pretended it was freezing. Bye Disney.


We also got to explore a little of the Hong Kong night life. We met up with my high school bud Mark, who is currently based in Hong Kong. He took us to a warehouse party his friend was hosting in Ngau Tau Kok. Who knew something like this was going down in an office building.





My high school bud, Mark.


BYOB




The place was filled with tourists/vacationers






At least they tried to use the trash bin.


Taking the party outside


The MTR closes at 12mn and opens at 6am. No choice but to wait.


Amidst all the food Hong Kong has to offer, don't forget to have some Popeyes. It's a must.






Hong Kong is definitely a place worth visiting. There is so much to do and see. An hour and a half away via airplane, yet the place seems like a world apart from where I live. It's nice to explore somewhere you're not familiar with. Go out and have an adventure. Book a ticket and just leave.





X


6 comments:

  1. Makes me want to go to Hong Kong and Disneyland. Very nice for your first blog! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate it! Hopefully I get to do this regularly. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. Minnie's so lucky! haha
    I find the picture of you guys waiting for MTR to open very cute/funny :P
    I was all smile reading your first post. You're words seemed to be very sweet.
    And I wish booking a ticket is that easy haha!

    PS. I love you hahahaha I'm such a creep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is your name LA because you came from LA? :P LOL, I think that was a dumb question, HAHA! I kinda found this blog of yours at random. I remember Hong Kong.. I love the night market and the food. Were you able to go to Victoria's Peak? I heard they closed it down. I don't know when but I went to HK in 2007, I believe. It's interesting how they have so many US stores in HK now since I don't remember seeing a H&M last time top. And, their Popeye's are actual legit fattening chicken legs that are found here in America, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just discovered you blog now. Love it!
    Awesome post! It made me even more excited to go to HK Disneyland this March!
    Btw, your google friend connect is not working :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Hong Kong trip, I'm sure it would be a blast. Thanks for the comment, really appreciate it! Promise to keep my blog on tip-top condition soon, will fix all it's tweaks. X

      Delete